Harkness Memorial State Park, an historic landmark property, is greatly enhanced by the labor and expertise of our many Friends of Harkness volunteers. State staff levels at the Park are inadequate to meet Harkness’s complex set of needs. For close to thirty years, the Friends have supplemented staff efforts to protect, promote and preserve this special place and could use many more volunteers to better park visitor experience and to educate the public about the compelling history of the former Eolia estate. Your help will make such a difference! Please consider volunteering for one of our many committees.
- Work in the various gardens
- Work in the greenhouse in winter to propagate plants to use in the park
- Maintain the farm orchard that has heirloom varieties of apples
- Do the fall garden clean up
- Do grounds maintenance- removing vines and invasive plant material, trimming hedges, installing deer fencing
- To volunteer contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Events Volunteers are needed for both fund raising and FOH member events:
- Annual Plant Sale (May) –contact email@example.com
- Historic Garden Day (June) contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friends Summer Picnic (August) –contact email@example.com
- Friends Holiday Party (December) –contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- FOH sponsored Lectures and Programs contact email@example.com
Impress your friends and relatives with your knowledge of the Eolia Mansion, and become a Docent!
You get a “behind the scenes” look at the mansion and the life of Edward and Mary Harkness.
Walking through the mansion will take you back in time as you enthusiastically share stories of the Harkness’ life in their Waterford summer home.
You decide when you can docent and make your own schedule.
No previous experience necessary, training is provided—a group training and refresher is done each spring; as well as individual training. No need to memorize, you are given a “script” to follow as you head tours inside the mansion.
Docents are needed to lead tours every Saturday and Sunday from Memorial Day to Labor Day from 10 AM to 1:30PM. If you can do one Saturday for an hour or every weekend for 3 hours, it’s totally up to you.
Contact Docent Coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prepare a yearly budget in consultation with Committee chairs
- Review FOH expenditures for services rendered
- Evaluate FOH accounts
- Make recommendations for investments of funds
- Approve budget expenditures and reimbursements
To volunteer contact budgetfinancechair@harkness.
Please Join With Us As Friends of Harkness Volunteers!
- Meet new people and make lifelong friends
- Derive satisfaction from accomplishing something that truly benefits all our citizens
- Have some fun in one of Connecticut’s most beautiful public spaces
If you have a few extra hours a week or month to help us, call the Friends phone 860-437-1523 and leave a message or contact one of our Committees directly via email email@example.com